A guide to services

We have a wide range of healthcare and children and family services.
See which service or professional is best to help you.

Self care

Many illnesses can be treated in your home by using over the counter medicine from your pharmacist and getting plenty of rest. Self care is the best choice to treat very minor illnesses and injuries. If you are still worried call NHS 111 or your GP.



If you think you need help urgently during the day or night you should call NHS 111 before you go to any other health service.

By calling NHS 111 you will be directed straight away to the local service that can help you best. It is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year and is free to call, including from a mobile. You should call NHS 111:

  • When you need help fast but it’s not life-threatening.

  • When you think you need to go to A&E or another NHS urgent care service.

  • When it’s outside of your GP’s surgery hours.

  • When you do not know who to call for medical help.

  • If you do not have a local GP to call.


Your local pharmacist will know about most everyday health issues. They can suggest over-the-counter medicine or advise where may be best for you to get help. There are often pharmacists in supermarkets and many are open late. To find a local pharmacy visit www.nhs.uk to find the pharmacy nearest to you.

GP (Doctor)

You will need to register with a local GP. Your GP can advise, give you the medicines you need and point you in the right direction if you need other specialist services. You will usually need to make an appointment. All GPs will see a child quickly if you are worried.

After 6.30pm weekdays, at weekends and public holidays you can call the GP out-of-hours service on NHS 111.

School nurse

Once your child reaches school age, the school nursing team and school staff will help support your child’s health and development. Your school nurse can advise on minor illness and injury, health and wellbeing. They can offer support and information around healthy lifestyles and positive mental health. Sutton School Nursing Service 020 8915 6877 rmh-tr.SchoolNursesSutton@nhs.net

See our School Nurses page for local information.


Make sure you see a dentist on a regular basis. Make sure your child is registered with a dentist and take them with you to appointments. To find your nearest dentist visit www.nhs.uk For out-of-hours dentist information call NHS 111.


SENCO stands for "Special Educational Needs Coordinator". They are responsible for the day-to-day operation of the school's SEN policy. All mainstream schools must appoint a teacher to be their SENCO.


CAMHS stands for Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services. CAMHS are specialist NHS services. They offer assessment and treatment when children and young people have emotional, behavioural or mental health difficulties.

A&E & 999

For serious and life-threatening emergencies.
and 999 are emergency services that should only be used when babies and children are badly injured or show symptoms of critical illness. These may be choking or breathing difficulties, unconscious or unaware of surroundings, taken poison or tablets or severe abdominal pain.